Administration of State Historical-Architectural Reserve Icherisheher under the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Azerbaijan
Monuments of local value
Beyler’s mosque located nearby the Complex of the Palace of the Shirvanshahs was constructed in 1895, in the place of a more ancient mosque. As a result of development of the industrial capitalism in Baku, this mosque laid down the foundations of new architectural researches of religious constructions subject to protection of the local architectural traditions. Its interior consists of vestibule, chapel and chancel of specially underlined type of masonry and having a decorative expression form. The Beyler mosque embodies the constructive principles of European, Easterns and local architecture. The drafted dome of the mosque has perfect stratches and masonry styles.
Construction of this church located within the castle walls near the Shamakhy gates and in front of the military guardhouse commenced on March 18, 1850. The architect of this mosque constructed in Georgian-Byzantine style was Belov. Construction of the mosque having height of 45 meters completed in 1858. Upon initiative and persuasions by archbishop Isidor, the Georgian exarch, the mosque was named after archbishop St. Nicholas Mirlikiyski (260-243) living in Mira city, the capital of Lycia state B.C. Presently the archbishop St. Nicholas’ museum house and church locate in ancient Mira settlement nearby the Turkish Antalya city. He is called “Santa Claus” in Europe and “Father Christmas” in Russia. In 1930 the church was partially destroyed and only its lower part has survived.
The estate named “The house with chains” was constructed in early 20th century and owned by a merchant Hadji Mammadhuseyn Mammadov in 1920. In 1928 this estate was bought by brothers Melikov deeming as famous merchants of Icherisheher. In 1930 the Customs Administration of Baku city confiscated this estate because of smuggling and provided to state usage. The clothing factory named after N.Narimanov located here since 1930. As the building was acting as a cloting factory the its facade was exposed to certain modifications and some architectural items were withdrawn. As the last owners of the estate were brothers Melikov the estate is known as Melikovs’ estate. The facade of the building is opposite to the Gosha Gala Gapisi (Double Gates of the Fortress) and divides the main entrance square of Icherisheher in Boyuk Gala and Gulla streets. Owing to the architectural style and aesthetic appearance the house with chains has special place among the architectural monuments constructed in Icherisherer in early 20th century. Presently the building serves as the Museum of Archeological and Enthnography Institute of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
This bathhouse was constructed in 2nd part of 19th century by Agha Zeynal, the orderer and owner of the bathhouse. Hadji Agha Zeynal is grandfather of Ramazanov, a Baku millionaire. The bathhouse is included to the system of living constructions and acts part of them. The internal space of the bathhouse was divided in compliance with the traditional styles into changing and washing rooms, hot and cold water reservoirs and fire chambers. The Agha Zeynal’s Bathhouse is a civil architectural monument belonging to the 2nd part of 19th century.
The mosque belongs to the Complex of the Palace of the Shirvanshahs and locates in the lower part of the Eastern Gate. The mosque has not any epigraphy on own facade. It’s supposed to be constructed in 14th centure and named as the item “Jinn” of the Saint Koran. It was acting as the mosque of settlement. The building is quadratic in the plan and consists of the single-chamber chapel hall covered with stone dome. The mosque portal has classic shape.
The small-sized Hadji Heybat’s Mosque belongs to the row of living settlements. It was constructed by architect Hadji Heybat Amirali oglu in 1206 of Hegira (1791). It’s quadratic in the plan and consists of the quadratic vestibule, serving room and chapel with niches. There is an epigraphy about the architect. The architect’s and his wife’s graves locate in the interior of the chapel, in one of the corners.
The small-sized mosque belongs to the row of living settlements. It was constructed by Hadji Mirza Ahmad in 1345. It’s quadratic in the plan and consists of the quadratic vestibule, serving room and chapel with niches. The architectural construction of the mosque consists of local stine domes and crossing archs. The center of the mosque wall with entrance door has epigraphy from the Saint Koran and information about the architect. The ceiling and the lateral supplementary premises of the mosque are destroyed. It’s supposed to be constructed over an ancient temple.